Continuation of Report 11/11 - to 12/98

Summary Of Concerns From 11/11/97 - 12/98

Back to Top


Page 1 - Summary of Concerns Re: Receipt of Valuables

On 9/27/98, the Chief Medical Examiner’s Western Regional Office released a piece of glass as evidence to University of Massachusetts Police Detective Barry Flanders.

The piece of glass is alleged to be 8 inches long, per photographs taken of it next to a ruler. In the photographs, the glass is clear, and shaped like a butcher knife.

In the photographs of the glass viewed at the site of the incident before cleanup, the glass visible is covered with a white opaque similar in color to snow. As the glass photographed is perfectly clear, what happened to the white frost? Upon examining remnants of glass left behind in the 90 min. cleanup, it was noted that the frost is very hard to remove--indeed, it must be scraped to be removed. Why is the glass removed from Adam’s back wiped clean of blood and prints, and who is responsible for cleaning it??

Glass retrieved at the scene by Barbara Prentice, mother of Adam, as late as 5/98 is also frosted in color, and is still very difficult to remove.

As of today, 6/28/98--nine months after Adam’s death, I have not been allowed to view the glass.

As of 4/27/03, I have still not been able to view the glass or take Adam's belongings home.


Summary of Concerns RE: Cori Report

On 9/27/97 at 2:39 a.m, the UMPD referenced Adam’s name and birthdate to the criminal history systems board. The only appearance displayed was a dismissal in 8/95 for “minor is possession.”

This incident was in relation to a supper barbecue held at a beach in Sandwich for Barnstable lifeguards. At the time of the charge, 25 lifeguards were present. A keg of beer was on the beach which no one had touched. A 23 yr. old guard was bringing it to an evening party later that night. All 25 guards were arrested and charged for minor in possession but the 23 year old guard had purchased it, and it was still unopened.

As no one had actually drank any of the beer, charges were dismissed, and the individuals paid court fees instead.

The CORI check was initiated and completed before Adam died. Yet, I was told I hadn’t been informed of the injury because he wasn’t able to identify himself. The UMPD report states that Adam had indeed identified himself verbally, and his picture ID was in his pocket, but they had neglected to look, even though it was the most logical location for a man to carry his ID.

In a conversation with Chief Luippold just hours after Adam’s death, he referred to this incident as Adam’s “history of alcohol abuse...” he was more interested in Adam’s dismissed court record than he was in investigating how, why, and possibly by whom, Adam had been injured.


Concerns with Incident Report


Concerns with document entitled REFERENCE: 97-1130-Officer D. Ortiz - 10/22/97

The police statement summarized in this report by officer Ortiz is edited by a supervisor who has neglected to sign the report. Officer Ortiz has not signed his statement. The statement is dated 10/22/97. Adam’s incident was on 9/27/97.

Officer Ortiz was dispatched with Officer Boothe (#67) in response to an intrusion alarm at the Morrill Green Houses.


Continue to Chronology Timeline